Residential Row House
Row houses come in the category of urban homes, which are located in the same area and are coherent with each other in architecture, design, and appearance. A residential row house is a style of housing in use since 17th century. These houses are identical or mirror images of each other and the adjacent houses share side walls. They are built in a straight row and generally such two rows are built in parallel to each other. Row houses can be of multiple stories. The first and last of these houses are called end terrace and they are usually larger than the houses in middle. These houses are also known as Terraced Homes or Town Houses in other parts of world.
Combination of Individuality and Community The most important thing about the row houses are that they provide the facilities of a bungalow (independent house) along with the benefits of a community.
- The facilities of bungalow come in the sense that they are separate and secure. Everything from water to electricity, from parking to gardens, you have your own spaces. You needn't share some or any of your conveniences or facilities.
- They have also the benefits of a community as a number of row-houses are constructed adjacent to each other and identical rows are formed in parallel to each other. They have common parks, playgrounds, temples, etc, which provide them a place to get-together and spend some time.
Benefits of a Row House
- Row houses are usually two-storied but they may have multi-storied. You can use the floors according to your needs and requirements. In the two-storied houses, the main living area is on the second floor, while the first floor is mainly used for general purposes.
- Row houses are a cross between an apartment and a bungalow. They are cheaper like apartments. But they offer independence like bungalows.
- They have a small garden in-front of each house.
- They offer you more privacy. As you are not a part of the same building so you can ignore your neighbours in a case you don't want to talk to them.
- If anyone want to sell his house, there are no hinder, like dealing with assorted people like the secretary, treasurer and the chairman.
Cost of Row Houses The row houses prove a little costlier than the apartments but that extra cost is very much justified as they provide separate environment. According to a study the row houses cost 5-10% more than the apartments. If we talk about privacy and individuality and compare its prices to the bungalows, we find that they cost much less than them.
New Trends in Row-Houses The latest trends in row houses came in the form of multi-storied buildings. Now most of the row-houses are build in this format to meet the demand of increasing urban population and that too at a low cost.