is a traditional Hindu science that is used in architecture and town
planning. The term 'vastu' is derived from Sanskrit 'vasu', meaning Earth
and the word 'shastra' meaning 'science'. This science describes the
detailed methodology of designing and structuring buildings, buying land
etc. for maximising benefits for the buyer, occupier. Vastu Shastra relies
in harmonizing every real estate development with the five elements of
Indian Mythology ie. air, water, earth, fire and space. The science is known
to safeguard the health, wealth, prosperity and overall happiness and well
being of individuals.
This traditional science has gained popularity in modern times and has
become an essential parameter that is considered in real estate development,
sale and purchase. Real estate buyers whether looking for industrial plots
or residential plots, lands and built houses or corporate building stress on
vastu while purchasing or renting real estate.
Since the principles of vastu shastra have evolved over years of experience
of sages of India, they have proved to be very valuable for ensuring balance
and harmony between man, nature and his buildings.
Various Lords and corresponding Directions
There are a number of Gods in the Hindu Mythology that are believed to
govern various directions. If a property is purchased keeping these
directions and vastu in mind, it will surely being benefit to individuals.
Vastu Tips for Real Estate
- Esshan i.e. Ishwar (North-east) - Believed to grant wisdom, knowledge
and proving all comforts.
- Indra (East) - Believed to be the king of devtas and provides wealth
and all pleasures of life.
- Agni/Fire (South-east) - Believed to grant a pleasant personality.
- Yamaha or Yamraj (South) - Believed to be the God of death and also
- Nissan or Niruti (South-west) - Believed to vanish the fear of enemy.
- Varun (West) -Believed to be the God of rain. He showers blessings
through rain and is belived to bring prosperity and pleasure in life .
- Vayu/Wind (North-west) - Believed to bestow long, healthy life to
- Kuber (North) - Believed to be the God of wealth and comforts.. The
above directions are considered while selecting a particular plot, land
or structure, whether for residential or commercial purpose.
There are certain vastu parameters that one must consider while purchasing
or renting commercial and residential real estate. Some of the basic
- Shape of the plot - A regular shaped plot or land is
considered good. A square or rectangle shaped plot should be bought.
Irregularly shaped plots should be avoided.
- Ideal Plot/ Site - If purchasing a constructed house or
building, it is best if the main structure is in the centre of the plot.
In case of a rectangular plot, the structure should be near to the
south, south west and west directions, while north and east directions
should have open spaces. "L" shaped plots are suitable
according to vastu as it signifies missing opportunities for owners and
- Obstruction - Various obstructions such as big trees, pillars
and posts, wells in front of the plot entrance should be avoided.
Check for the following points while purchasing or renting commercial and
residential plots, buildings etc.
- Yellow colored soil is good for commercial lands as it is an
auspicious color signifying increase in wealth.
- Rocky land should be avoided as it is not considered good .
- In case of buying a non- rectangular plot, make sure that South East
and South West Corners have a 90 degrees angle.
- When buying a constructed commercial or residential property, it is
better to have a narrow main gate and a wider end.
- Do not select a plot or constructed property with a well in the north
or east direction.
- Buy a plot that has the South and West part, higher than the North or
- A plot surrounded by roads in all four sides is considered quite